PRODUCE, SPICES & SAUCES:
1 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
4 oz carrot
6 oz fennel
4 oz peppers
10 oz greens
10 oz eggplant
Spice mix (Nutmeg, turmeric, garam masala)
COMPLETE MEAL BAG:
2 cups black lentils
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Boil 6 cups of water in a large pot over high heat. Slowly stir in 2 cups of lentils. Reduce heat to medium-high and let simmer. Set a timer for 35 minutes. (if soaked, 25 minutes) Lentils should be al dente.
- Peel and roughly chop shallot*, carrot*, peppers, and garlic* into large pieces. Place veggies and basil together in a food processor and pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil in a deep sauce pan or medium stock pot over medium heat. Add veggie mixture and cook until soft, 10–12 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp tomato paste, stir well to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and very soft, 10–12 minutes. Add 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar or wine to deglaze the pan if mixture is browning too quickly.
- While that is cooking, chop eggplant into ½” chunks and chop greens into bite sized pieces. Add both to the cooking veggies.
- Once lentil timer goes off, add contents of lentil pot and spice mix to veggies. Stir to incorporate all flavors. Let simmer with lid on for 5 minutes.
- Using the back of a large spoon or ladle, make 4 divots in the stew. Crack one egg into each divot. Place lid on pot and let cook for 5 minutes. Eggs should be perfectly poached. Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!